14 January 2006

La La Library

It's Saturday and I'm in the library. Not exactly ideal, is it? But when you've turned into an insomniac things are rarely ideal, as I'm finding out.

The last few nights have been spent pacing around the house, browsing forums, eating Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, cleaning up cat sick, watching Baywatch reruns, writing in my notebook, or just lying in darkness with my eyes closed praying for sleep to take me away. It's worrying because even my no fail sleep strategy - a combination of a Nytol one-a-night plus Pete Doherty acoustic on my iPod, my miracle saviour - has started to let me down. Bastard. I may have to start considering taking two one-a-nights at at time. Which is clearly bad, or else they wouldn't have made such an effort to remove any possible doubt over the recommended dose. Nytol one-a-night. What a rebel.

So anyway, my sleep problems meant I was asleep until 3:30pm most of last week. Yes, that's THREE THIRTY IN THE AFTERNOON. That pretty much fucked up my plan for working on my dissertation for 3 whole no-breaks days which has led to me being in the library on a Saturday afternoon. I've been here for hours and I will be here for hours. I feel sorry for myself although I'm aware that it's all my fault. I hate all the people in the library. A heavy breather sat beside me for about 45 minutes and I nearly had to move. Every breath he took I could hear him exhaling through his nose and it just about drove me insane. I thought sniffers were bad but this guy took irritating library neighbours to a new level. He's gone now, so it's safe to write about him. I went to take some books out at one point to get away from him, and was served by the flabbiest woman I've ever seen, who seemed to think it's OK to wear a white top that doesn't even cover her belly button with her fat belly flopping out over the waistband of her one size too small black trousers, and a three sizes too small bra with a cup that cuts across her nipples and makes her look like she has four breasts. And this woman is at her work, which makes it even worse. I was so offended by the sight that I couldn't even bring myself to make eye contact with her. Cover yourself up, woman.

Maybe I should get back to work, if I want to get home in time for Celebrity Big Brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home