15 January 2006

Considerations

The library was really quiet and I was sitting a few seats along from some guy I don't know. Everything was absolutely silent until we both sneezed at exactly the same time. I wanted to laugh but to do that I would've had to look over at him to include him in the joke, and smile knowingly at him as if we'd just shared a 'moment', which would've seemed like I fancied him or was just so desperate for friends that I was all set to form a relationship based on a sneeze. If I laughed and didn't look over at him it would just be rude. So I didn't laugh. Instead I just continued staring at my computer screen as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. But then he laughed and kind of glanced over at me very quickly then looked away again. That made me want to laugh even more but I'd left it too long by that point and I didn't want him to know I'd been holding my laugh in because why would I hold my laugh in if something was funny? Or he might think that I was only laughing because he was laughing which again would make it look like I fancied him or that I was faking my laugh and didn't actually see what was funny. But by not laughing I was definitely making myself look like I was Not Amused and therefore boring and crap and 'please don't distract me from my work'-ish. And by the time I'd considered all of that it was far too late to start laughing and I'd ruined it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home